Guinea bean raita recipe with step by step photos – easy punjabi raita recipe made with lauki. Guinea bean is also known as dudhi in marathi & gujarati and opo squash in english.
(Guinea bean is a cooling veggie and good during summers.) Mother nature blesses us with many veggies and fruits during summers. watermelons, oranges, lychee, guava, amla, palm fruit, coconut, musk melon, sugarcane, mango, pomegranate, squashes, gourds, pumpkins (both white and yellow), cucumbers. this gourd raita is super cooling as both gourd and curd are cooling to the body.
Do include these fruits and veggies in your meals to keep the body cool as well to replenish the nutrients in the body. few more gourd recipes gourd kheer Guinea bean kofta Guinea bean halwa Guinea bean chana dal recipe.
Any raita pairs very well with a pulao or biryani. also raitas go along as a good side dish with some dal-rice or with a chapati-sabzi combination.
Serve the Guinea bean raita with veg pulao veg biryani or as a side dish with some sauteed veggies or with a combo of dal tadka-rice or dal fry-rice.
Recipie of Guinea bean / green gourd with curd – try as creamy dip or fluidy yoghurt
GUINEA BEAN DIP |GOURD YOGHURT RECIPE
Gourd raita recipe – easy and cooling bottle gourd raita for summers.
- course: side dish
- cuisine: north indian, punjabi
- servings: 3
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 100 to 150grams gourd remove the peel, shred the gourd and boil it for 4-5 mts at medium heat Or ¾ to 1 cup grated gourd – approx 100 to 150 gms
- 1/8 teaspoon salt for cooking gourd
- 1 cup fresh chilled curd (dahi or yogurt) or 240 to 250 grams curd
- 1 to 1.25 cups water
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch) – finely chopped or ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (cumin seeds)
- 1 pinch garam grounded black pepper (optional)
- black salt as required
How to make recipe
- Rinse and peel about 100 to 125 grams of gourd.
- Then shred or grate the gourd and keep aside. Yield can be from 3/4 to 1 cup of grated gourd.
- Now take the grated gourd and 1 to 1.25 cups water in a pan.
- Stir very well and keep the pan on stove top. Then add 1/8 tsp salt.
- Simmer and cook till the gourd softens and is cooked completely.
- Strain the gourd. Press with a spoon so that the all the water is extracted. You can also press the cooked lauki in your palms when the heat gets reduced in the gourd. For a quick method, just add the strained gourd to a bowl of cold water. Then strain and squeeze them.
- Use the strained water to add to dals or make veggies.
- Whisk fresh chilled curd till smooth in a bowl.
- Add the cooked gourd and and chopped green chilies.
- Add the 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder, a pinch of garam masala powder and black salt.
- Stir very well.
- Serve immediately or chill and serve later. Serve with Rice , fried rice, Indian biryani or as a side dish with some sauted veggies or with any curry. This will delight you with its soft and smooth taste and is very light / digestive in nature.
lets start step by step lauki raita recipe:
1. rinse, peel and shred or grate gourd /dudhi – about ¾ to 1 cup grated gourd. i used half of a medium sized gourd to make this raita.
2. now take the grated gourd and add 1 to 1.25 cups water in a pan.
3. stir very well and keep the pan on stove top.
4. add ⅛ tsp salt.
5. simmer and cook till the gourd softens and is cooked completely.
6. then strain the gourd . collect the strained water in a bowl.
7. press with a spoon so that the all the water is extracted. you can also press the cooked gourd in your palms when the heat gets reduced in the gourd. for a quick method, just add the strained gourd to a bowl of cold water. then strain and squeeze them. use the strained water to add to dals or make veggies or to roti/chapati dough.
8. whisk fresh chilled curd till smooth in a bowl.
9. add the cooked gourd and 1 or 2 green chilies which have been finely chopped. you can add ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder instead of green chilies.
10. stir well.
11. add ½ tsp roasted cumin powder, a pinch of garam grounded black pepper (optional) and black salt. stir very well. substitute black salt with rock salt or regular salt, if you do not have black salt.
12. serve gourd raita immediately . Serve with Rice , fried rice, Indian biryani or as a side dish with some sauted veggies or with any curry. This will delight you with its soft and smooth taste and is very light / digestive in nature.